Saturday, November 16, 2013

Fun with my new toy

I got my new camera a few weeks ago. My very own DSLR - a Canon Rebel.

I was kind of scared to put it into my cart. Somehow, it felt like a huge commitment, like I had to master photography now. I felt like I maybe wasn't up to the task. It was way too cool for me.

I brought it home, and it literally sat in its box for a few days before I could muster up the courage to open it. When I finally did, I spent a few hours poring over the manuals, but most of the technical stuff went over my head, so I gave up after reading about the different lenses and how to turn it on.

I decided to just try the camera out, but I soon noticed that while my pictures were a little sharper, they weren't much better than my point and shoot.
 I tried turning off the flash, and that didn't work.
 The flash didn't wash out pictures like my point and shoot always does, so I decided to embrace it.
 I finally broke down and read a bunch of blog articles on DSLR cameras. Most of them talked about switching from Auto to Manual mode, which I hadn't gotten to yet in my reading. :) I found the button, made the switch, and the magic ensued. I love the way the crunchy leaves are just frozen in flight here.
I'm figuring out how to get the sharper focus where I want it.
 I've played around a little with lighting.
It's amazing how just a few steps over changes the quality of the picture so completely.
 I was ecstatic to discover continuous shooting, letting me catch all the intonations of Lydia's smiles and playful interactions with her big sister.
 And I love how accurately it captures color. Don't you love Nora's new bangs? I finally got brave and cut them this morning.
My pictures are still far from professional or even frame-worthy, but I do feel as though I'm getting better. One of these days I might even finish reading through the manual, and then we'll really be in business. ;) I'm pretty excited about this new hobby!

4 comments:

Liz said...

The pics look great! I admire your determination in trying something new. Keep posting. I'd love to read about whatever you learn, too, if you feel like sharing!

Rachel Sorber said...

Yay, Sarah! I'm still in the dark about how to get the best out of my camera, but I love it, all the same! I'm so happy for you. And I do love Nora's bangs. Mostly I just love Nora. Happy shooting! ;)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Awesome! Congrats, and have fun! I've taken so many more pictures than I used to since getting my camera-- it's fun to use and the pictures look good. More of our life is captured. I'm excited for you to get more of what you want in pictures! That is a wonderful gift.

Emily said...

Sarah, I was determined to get the most out of my DSLR as well, I bought this little e-book and it changed my life!

http://www.kristendukephotography.com/purchase-my-books/