Saturday, August 24, 2013

Some Good Excuses

One of the nice things about being with my sisters is having access to their gorgeous Canon Rebel cameras. I've resisted buying one for myself, mainly because I have little kids who are good at destroying things and I'm cheap. But I think even if they did end up destroying it, the photos might be worth it in the end. After all, these are the faces I want to remember, and my camera just doesn't seem to do them justice...
I want to remember this baby in all her roly-poly glory. I want to see that messy red mop and remember the feel of it against my cheek. I want to remember the way that heavily creased and padded neck cranes up to look up at my face when I talk.
I want to remember this little pixie face, which shadows me every waking minute, whether I'm making dinner, sitting down to take a breath or going to the bathroom. :) I want to remember the way she mimics my every move, and wants nothing more than to be "twins" with Mommy.
I want to remember the enormous expressiveness in this "four-almost-five-year-old-baby's" little face. I want to remember his stout little body before it makes its last transition into scrawny boyhood. I want to remember that baby smile, before his top front wiggly tooth falls out.
And I want to capture everything about my biggest boy. He is still little, but his eyes are beginning to show signs of maturity and understanding. I hope I can record the way he laughs, and the way he attacks everything he does with purpose. I want to remember the way he still looks at me like I'm his hero.

I turn 30 in a couple months, and that seems to me to be a pretty good excuse too. I like getting to pick my own birthday presents. :)

3 comments:

Liz said...

OH MY GOSH look at those rolls! So pinchable and perfect!

You two just make beautiful kids, do you know that? My goodness.

Rachel Sorber said...

You totally should get a good camera, Sarah. It's a non-messy, non-time consuming way to be artistic, and you can keep your camera in a place where the kids can't get it. That said, I still use my phone camera WAY more than I do my nice one--because it's the camera I keep in my back pocket. Can't beat that for convenience.

Still, it's nice knowing I can have beautiful shots whenever I want them.

Jeannine said...

I'm totally with Rachel. My phone is so much more convenient, but it's nice to have the Canon T2i on hand for whenever we go out on a date, or family outing, or just when I feel like doing a photo shoot :)

I LOVE our camera, and I feel like it was a great investment! Happy soon-to-be 30th - you earned that camera!