Monday, August 26, 2013

Chocolate Granola

I think having Gestational Diabetes during the past three pregnancies has done really good things for me. I find it a lot easier to be judicious about the kinds and quantities of foods I eat than I used to. For example, I've never been much of a soda drinker, but now the thought of soda or juice (or really any sugary beverage that isn't water) kind of grosses me out. I figure, if you're going to consume a little sugar, it'd better be worth it!

Whole fruit- totally worth it. I'd much rather eat unadulterated fruit than any sort of fruity dessert. But when it comes to anything chocolate, I will admit that I am totally a sucker. Even chocolate cereals like Reeses' Peanut Butter puffs are beyond my power to resist.  I know they're totally void of any nutritional value, but I don't care. Ice cream, also totally worth it. The creamier the better!

The other day I noticed we were out of cereal, and not wanting to go to the store, I decided to make a batch of granola to tide us over for a few days. When I noticed that I was also out of plain nuts (I only had cocoa almonds), I thought maybe it was time to concede and just go shopping. But then I remembered Trader Joe's Chocolate Granola (that stuff is good!), and decided I could just make something up using what I had. I didn't use any more sugar than I would in normal granola, but it tastes like a treat. Paul declared my creation the best granola he'd ever had, so I'm sure I'll be making it again! I think mine might even rival TJ's...


 Chocolate Granola
Mix the following in a bowl:
4 cups oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (I used cocoa almonds, but regular would work fine too)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Optional: flax, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, etc. for extra nutrients

Melt the following in a microwave safe bowl until the brown sugar is dissolved:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey

Add 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the melted mixture.

Mix dry and melted ingredients and spread on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, turning every ten minutes.


It's great with yogurt, milk, and even on its own.  And if you're feeling especially naughty, you can add some chopped semisweet chocolate in after it's done baking. Good stuff. If you're going to eat granola, it might as well be chocolate, right?

4 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Awesome. One of the coolest things I try not to buy too often here in Germany is just that--chocolate granola! It's killer good, and it feels like it's supposed to be nutritious since it's got plenty of oats in it. Don't even worry about the chocolate flakes and the toffee bits...

Some calories are just SOOO worth it!

Jeannine said...

Oh dang. Yeah, I'm going to have to give this a try. This looks amazing! We actually found a HUGE box of Reese's Puffs at Costco for $5!!! So naturally we buckled immediately and bought it... We're weak, but I don't care :)

Karey said...

That sounds delicious! I'm a total sucker for chocolate too! must be in the genes! :)

Liz said...

I had a lot of the same feelings with my GD. And I have felt the same way about juice and soda for a long time: if I'm going to have some sugar, I'm going to have some really GOOD sugar!

The recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing!