Sunday, June 09, 2013

Birthday Boy

I've been a mother now for seven years. I have a seven year old. I guess I'm coming to accept that it never becomes normal to watch your firstborn age.
Benjamin has grown a lot this year. He lost his first tooth. He started reading chapter books with relative ease and adds big numbers in his head. He learned how to ride a two wheeler bike. It seems like only a few short months ago he was stubborn and totally resistant when it was his turn to give a "talk" in primary. Last week, he helped compile his own talk, and confidently spoke in front of the entire group about his fourth-great grandfather. He's transitioned gracefully from being oldest of three to now oldest of four. He's catching on to saving his allowances, and sets big goals for himself.
I remember talking to a friend a little over a year ago about her son who was approaching baptismal age, which is eight in our church. I think I must have expressed some concern about Benjamin's lack of concern about what was right and wrong, which of course seems silly to me now.  She commented how she could actually see the accountability setting in with her son as he approached his eighth birthday. I'm starting to see that more with Benjamin too. He really is a good kid with a firm desire to choose the right. He certainly has his moments, like when he refuses to lose a game or can't bear to share that toy he wasn't playing with, but overall, he's getting it.
I am all about being realistic about what I can and can't do these days with a new baby. Benjamin really wanted to celebrate his birthday with his friends again this year, so I decided to check out our options that didn't involve me slaving over decorations, a spotless house or structured games. Our community pool seemed pretty reasonable, so we went with that. All I did for the party was make this awesome ice cream cake (it's just stacked ice cream sandwiches covered in cool whip, magic shell and a toffee bar) and compile some goody bags.
Benjamin invited friends from his class at school and a few church friends. Here he is with his cute friend Jack.
It wasn't a chilly day, but it was breezy and perfect weather for being outside- provided you weren't wet. I did feel kind of bad for the kids, one of which complained that this was "the worst day of his life." Of course, the ice cream cake didn't help. I joked that we'd themed our party "cold."
Here's Thomas, Evan, Benjamin, Alex, Ansar, Ben, Jack and Peter. Really a great group of boys. I was grateful for our two life guards who were responsible for entertaining and chasing them around the entire time, though!
We celebrated his birthday as a family today. Benjamin was thrilled to get the Lego set of his dreams (he told me that this was like a dream come true for him).



2 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

That boy is growing up! He looks so happy with his friends. Cute cakes!!!

Jeannine said...

I can't believe he and little Sarah have turned 7! And Natalie is getting baptized really soon... Crazy. This reunion will be so different and awesome to have these older kids around.

Also, I love that some of the kids declared it the worst day of their lives. Haha. Gotta love overly-dramatic kids :)