Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Peter's First Day Back

This week marks the beginning of Peter's new school year, and boy was he excited to get back! He's been asking about when he'd get to go ever since Benjamin started school a few weeks ago. The night before, he wanted to lay out his first day of school outfit and have a Father's Blessing.
This is what happens when I ask him to smile for the camera. Or maybe a scrunch face or a wide open mouth. :)
He's one of the few returning kids this year, since many are new. I have no doubt he will do great. At the beginning of the summer, I tried explaining the difference between regular preschool and Montessori, and gave him the option to choose whether or not he wanted to return this year, go somewhere else, or not go at all. He chose Montessori, which I feel really suits his personality well.  
I haven't written about Peter in a while, but he is a very focused, independent child. His most recent obsession  is coloring. He spends hours at it, making sure to choose accurate colors and does really well at staying in the lines. He's also gotten really interested in building with Legos, and will disappear for much of the afternoon, building space ships and houses and projectiles. 
Peter has a huge heart. He tells me often how much he loves me, and is generous with his hugs. I had to let him down recently when he told me he wanted to marry me. He loves looking at my wedding dress hanging up high in the closet, and tells me that I should wear it more (except for lunch and dinner times, when it might get dirty). We have some great conversations about what he'd like to be when he grows up. Chef and architect are some of the most recent contenders. This past Family Home Evening was about the Plan of Salvation, and it was funny to watch him absorb and digest this information all over again. He wanted to know what heaven was like, if he could take his Legos, if it would be boring there, and if Jesus would help him make some animals. He decided that he felt capable contributing the crown if Jesus made the rest of the king cobra. :) 
I love watching my sweet little Peter grow up. He's so fun.

3 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

I LOVE YOU, PETER!! Have a great year at school.

Liz said...

What a cutie. And that's good advice, Peter - Mommy should at least wear an apron if she's wearing her wedding dress to dinner. ;-)

MarcD said...

Peter is so funny. I love his interests and way of looking at things. What does Nora do in the time with no brothers around?