Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October Bliss

It's usually about this time of year that I'm reminded how wonderful it is to have a yard and to be outside. Peter and Nora and I have gone to the Farmer's Market several times already this week while Benjamin is at school. It's close, it's free, and it's lots of fun.      
 There's slides for Nora to go down backwards on,
several mini tractors for Peter to drive...
 ...and for Nora to get a ride in....
 ...and a giant pool filled with corn. 
 I love Peter's euphoric expression in this one...
...and this one...
 Nora scooping and dumping.
 Another obvious reason to love October is my birthday, and I had a great one! Just look at this ice cream cake that Paul MADE all by himself. It was amazing. I would also be remiss if I did not mention that I didn't cook a single meal all weekend. I feel loved!
My main present to myself was the front room makeover. Too bad my NEW COUCH isn't here yet. Probably just a few more weeks. :) I'm getting excited!
And this is going to go on the wall above the chairs. It's a huge, beautiful REAL etching of Jerusalem that has been sitting in a tube for years. Paul "inherited" ;) it from his parents, and we finally framed it.  I love how you can still see the deckled edge over the linen mat. In no way does this picture do it justice. I love it!
 The other day, Peter wanted to learn how to write his P's, so I drew about 83 (yeah, I counted) of them all over the driveway and walkway for him to trace with sidewalk chalk. His focus and determination really seems to be growing these days. As you can see, he also still has quite a sense of style and ability to match.
Nora likes to run out into the street these days, and so we have to remind her often not to. Here, Peter is demonstrating how she'll die if she goes into the road.
 Nora stays interested for a moment, but then her eye takes her back to that squirrel across the street. Hmm...somehow it's harder to reason with her, especially where something furry/shiny is involved.
Bucket heads...
 A pretty accurate depiction of their relationship these days...
I guess it can't be all roses and sunshine around here, because we've had sewage backup in our laundry room in the basement the past few weeks. We finally called a plumber, and this is what he found; a three-foot-long stick and lots and lots of smaller ones,
as well as Peter's old winter hat and pacifier. Hmmm...somehow I vividly recall that snowy day when Benjamin came in to tattle on Peter, who had dropped his hat into the hole outside. I guess they must have tried using sticks to fish it out. Gross. No wonder the exit line was blocked. Hooray for working plumbing, something I no longer take for granted since living in this house! 

7 comments:

Liz said...

He MADE an ice cream cake? Wow!

And enjoy your new couch! Take pix! :-)

Momo Cannon said...

Wonderful Fall Days! Glad you had a good birthday!

Rachel Sorber said...

I love that picture of Nora going down the slide backwards. What great thighs! I love where you live--there are SO MANY things for kids to do for free! I wish... Thanks for posting--it's fun to read about your lives! Happy belated birthday!

Marliese said...

Great post--from towering birthday cakes to pacifier covered in sewage. Glad you're enjoying October. And Happy Birthday, Sarah!

Hi Lowe! said...

That cake...looks. amazing. Great job Paul! Happy Birthday, Sarah!!

Becky Lowe said...

What a fun farmer's market! Better than Cox's Farm. Sorry about your sewer. Nora likes furry things, eh? Hmm. You may end up with a kitty someday.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

The giant pool of corn is AMAZING! Aw man, that is pure bliss. Your cake is another kind of bliss-- yum. Your finished chair looks perfect. I can't wait to see pictures of your finished front room when the couch comes in. Such a great post. You're awesome.