Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rainy Day

It's been raining buckets since we woke up this morning, but that's ok. It's been a pretty dry summer, and everything in our yard has been sort of brown. It's nice to have a really good rain every now and then. Nora was grumpy all day, probably because she couldn't go outside. When she saw Peter being resourceful, using a kitchen towel to wipe off his tricycle, she wanted to join him.
Biggest smile of the day. Too bad it couldn't last, since it was pretty chilly out there, and she was not at all properly dressed. I didn't let her play for long.
So do you want to see what I've been up to in our front room? Good, because I want to show you. Here's the new "coffee tables," or storage bins, or spaceships, or ninja rocks...they're pretty good multi-taskers already. Great overstock find, and perfect for the space.
Here's part of the "new" armoire I found on craigslist. It houses our tv, which is really nice since I don't have to look at it anymore. I was going to paint the old armoire we had in here, but it's part of a bedroom set, which we intend to sell sometime soon. I love the look of the warm, raw wood in here. It also has fun mustaches.
These were a really exciting find! I've been wanting raw silk curtains for a while, but they're really expensive, so it was always sort of out of the question. But I found these at our local antique mall for a steal, and snatched them right up. There were four, which was just the right for our long window, and the color was spot on with our rug. You can tell how excited I was about hanging these, because this is about the only part of the wall that got painted already.
This was the other find at the antique mall. A lovely, sturdy little side table- already painted in a great color. Notice the wall here is still red...
 The chair is not quite done, although it's getting there. I'm loving how these are turning out.
I thought painting over the red was going to be a beast, but it turns out that the light green above the chair rail was the hardest to cover completely. It was really frustrating to see bluish purplish spots showing through after the second coat! But I did finish painting the eating area. Here's the cream and gray- pretty similar to how it looked before, but a bit lighter and much more neutral. I'm loving this gray more and more...I can't wait to finish the rest of the room!

8 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

It all looks great! What a fun thing to see it all come together!

Becky Lowe said...

Love your new furniture and curtains and paint. I think you will be very happy with it when it's done. Peter is a doll. Thank you for sharing a little about his personality. I'd love to hear him sing again next time we skype.

merathon said...

can't wait to see it all put together! i love me some gray as well... i've painted over half of our interior some shade of gray!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Beautiful work/finds! Sarah, this is awesome! I love that picture of Peter in his fireman hat and boots. Ready to save the day! Nora does look happy to be out there!

The Dahle Family said...

Fun sneak peeks! You've got us eager for the final reveal!! You have such a knack for decorating, I'm sure it'll look so classy when it's all put together!

Stacy said...

You're so creative. Can you come decorate my house?

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow! Great finds! I love the armoire--I love being able to hide the TV! You'll have to show us when you finish all these bits and bobs as they say here. It's looking great so far...

Jeannine said...

This is amazing, Sarah! You're so good at this. I can't wait to see the finished product, either! And I love the gray tones - they seem to be very calming colors - maybe good for 3 adorably crazy kids :)