Monday, September 19, 2011

It's Quiet.

This is my third quiet night in a row since Paul's been gone. He's off in Uberlandia, Brazil teaching a class. It was harder to let him go this time. I have lots and lots of projects and things that I could be doing, but instead, I'm deep into The Hunger Games. Yes, I know I'm a little late to that party, but I'm really glad I finally came around! I'm hooked. But to prove I didn't totally neglect my kids today, here are some cute pictures...
 Does it get any cuter than this? In my completely biased opinion, it does not.
Peter and I also played some football and basketball in the backyard today. It's fun to hang out with him  one-on-one these days with Benjamin at school.
Yesterday was the big Primary Program. Benjamin has come a long way since last year, when he refused to give a part because he was too shy. He was the first kid to say his part, and he read it perfectly and clearly. I was a proud mama, but was sad Paul had to miss it. Also on Sunday was some restructuring in the Nursery. Remember when I was put in there "temporarily?" Well, now I'm the Nursery Leader, not just a worker, and we have fresh blood coming in. It's a bit of a daunting task, but I'm also excited about it. Part of my frustrations in there had to do with the stagnancy (the old leader was great and had her own way of doing things, but she had been in there for probably five years). So now I'm on the hunt for new ideas. I'd love to hear any and all ideas about how other nurseries are run, so hit me up!

7 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

Nora is soooo cute! We will be thinking about you dealing with the kids while Paul is gone. I think you deserve as much down time as you need. It is not easy. I think you will be a great nursery leader. Our nursery is tightly run by Pam Hicks and she has more strong leaders than in any of the other auxiliaries. I am sure the kids will love you!

Melanie said...

Nora has the most enchanting little face. She's just adorable!

Also, good luck (again) with nursery.

And The Hunger Games series really is fantastic. I'm pretty excited for the first movie to come out in March. I think the casting is spot on. I just finished another dystopian novel called The Maze Runner (James Dashner). I really enjoyed it. Similar to The Hunger Games in that it's a world that is under a lot of control, disimilar in that it's a world full of boys. Boys just think differently. It's very goal driven. Anyway, I recommend it.

Are you on Goodreads? Please say yes.

Liz said...

Can I please just hug the stuffing out of that little girl? She is SO ADORABLE!

I also love the Hunger Games books. I was disappointed in the ending of the third one, but overall, I love them. Read them many times.

Yeah, nursery is tough. I always appreciate singing time in my class and I often blow bubbles to get kids' attention, stop the tears, provide a distraction, etc. Works like a charm! Also, make sure the Relief Society has contact with the nursery. Nursery ladies need RS as much as anyone, and probably more so! Good luck!

Mirien said...

We have 4 nursery leaders in our ward and they rotate--2 each week. I think it keeps them from getting burnt out and feeling isolated. Also, I love the new nursery manual. We sometimes use it for FHE just for our youngest two. You'll be a great nursery leader!

Becky Lowe said...

Nursery leader! Well, things will certainly change now. You're a pretty remarkable person, to quote Dad just now, and you will do great. Blowing bubbles at the beginning to distract unhappy kids worked well in other nurseries I've seen. I bet there's online training for nursery leaders at lds.org. Good luck! Mom

Stacy said...

I second the bubbles in nursery. They're great :) Our primary music leader also does music, and that helps a great deal. Nursery's a tough thing! You can do it! Also, I haven't read the hunger games yet. So, I've got nothin' :)

Hi Lowe! said...

You'll do great as Nursery leader!!! :) I agree with Nora's cuteness! :)