Friday, August 12, 2011

The Moral of the Story

So we checked this book out at the library today. It looked innocent enough, but it was certainly not the version I grew up with. No where did it praise hard work or preparedness, but made the ant out to be a rich, greedy, selfish hoarder who in the end comes around and decides to share with the starving artist. Anyways, after I finished reading it to the boys, I tried to reconstruct a better moral for them, veering away from the glorified theme of entitlement (not that I discourage charitable giving). Benjamin of course said he wanted to be the ant, since he works hard and has everything he needs. Then Peter chimed in, "I want to be the cricket!" I laughed to myself for a minute, because right now it's true- he is the fun, silly brother who would much rather play than work, and Benjamin is very much the serious ant. I certainly don't think their fates are sealed, but for right now, this story captures it. They are two distinct, wonderful little individuals, but I have full confidence that both will be hard workers in whatever they choose to do in life.

1 comment:

Momo Cannon said...

I think you need to be careful about the messages in children's books today. I think the morals in books prior to the 60"s are more in line with what we feel comfortable with. Even Dr. Seuss went weird with some of his later books.

Now that the next generation is beginning public education, I think that parents need to be vigilant about what overt and subtle messages are being presented. It is a different world!