Friday, December 03, 2010

Joseph and Mary's Story

Our Stake puts on an annual Creches and Carols exhibit, and each year that I've lived here, I've gotten involved as a designer. Our entire building transforms for the event- track lighting and Christmas lights, tons of Christmas trees, draped walls, thousands of nativities, and live musical performances. It's a ton of work, but I guess I'm one of the crazy people who think it's worth it. This year, I was given the Mary and Joseph room. My good friend Natalie (who also has three small children) helped me put this room together. So here's the tour going around.

Here's Mary's annunciation.
There was a scripture hanging on the wall here, but it didn't make it into this shot...anyways, this table has different "vessels" across it, drawing from Alma 7:10 "she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel..."
Here is Joseph's annunciation.
Hanging here is the scripture found in Matthew 13:55, "Is this not the carpenter's son?" We used old carpentry tools here with some wood shavings and rough cut wood.
I have a very supportive four-year-old, who wanted to come and see what Mommy was up to every night this week. :) This table has the scripture found in Luke 2:4, "And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)" We used different Jewish items here.
Here's the other end of the Jewish table. I was lucky enough to find someone who had all sorts of fun things to work with- beautiful Jewish things, all the old carpentry tools, and pretty little vessels. Anyways, that's what I've been up to for the past few weeks. It's been fun, but I'm ready for a little break!

10 comments:

Kara said...

Wow, Sarah, it looks amazing. I wish I could see it in person!

Jeannine said...

Dang. Sarah, you have an amazing talent of making things look absolutely beautiful!

Liz said...

I'm just counting the days until I see you in a magazine humbly showing off your fabulous art and designs. And I will show it to everyone I know and say, "I know this girl. Don't be jealous."

Melanie said...

Sarah, it's beautiful.

Hi Lowe! said...

THAT is SO cool! Great job! It's so beautiful! I wish I could see it in person! Do church meetings still happen in the building while set up is going on?

Stacy said...

Wow. That's just about all I can say. You're amazing!

Momo Cannon said...

It looks beautiful. IMaybe next year we can come and see it! You are so talented!

Marliese said...

Incredible, I wish I lived in your stake so I could enjoy the fruits of your (and many others') labors. What a special way to focus on the spirit of Christmas.

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow. Great job! I'm really impressed, Sarah. I wish I could see it in person. Where did all the artwork come from?

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

It's beautiful. Very calming and lovely. I bet everyone loved it.