Sunday, April 18, 2010

Paw Paw

Funny story. Peter (at not quite 18 months) has become pretty interested in the potty. I guess with the new one recently installed (and the fact that we still don't have the bathroom door back on...) it's the new big thing. So earlier this week, he led me over there after he had witnessed Benjamin doing his thing, and wanted to get naked to try it out for himself. He grunted a little, stood there for a minute or two, then lost interest. Then yesterday while I was getting him dressed, I asked him if he needed to go potty, and he ran straight for the toilet. Before I could get his little stool for him to stand on, he had done his thing not in, but at the potty. We weren't sure whether to cheer him on or discipline him. So we cheered. This morning, he came to me, and pointing to his diaper said "paw paw," which I of course knew to mean "potty." So I got him naked (as requested) and stood him on his stool, and we waited. And then he did it! Crazy, huh. I'm not crossing my fingers that potty training will happen any time soon. I have no problem with diapers, especially on a kid who can barely communicate with me. Really I think he just idolizes his older brother. But Benjamin sure does make a great role model to follow!

6 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Amazing. You know, Grandma Lowe claims to have potty trained Judy and Janice at like 1 year old, so I guess anything's possible. Good luck with that! You have such cute kids.

PS, I keep finding adorable Euro dresses for little Cannon girls here, and I have to restrain myself. A little girl can only wear so many clothes at a time before growing out of them, you know.

McKenna said...

What a cute story. I can't believe he actually did it! As always, I love the pics.

The Dahle Family said...

Elodie was just older than that, like 19 or 20 months, when she started to tell me she had to go #2. And every time she told me, she would go. So for about a year, she wore diapers and did her #2 on the toilet until she was ready for the whole staying dry thing. Each kis has their own style and timetable!

Jeannine said...

Hahahaha best story ever. I laughed so hard at this. As did my roommates when I shared it with them :)

Those kids have spunk and I love it! I'm intrigued to see how they react to having a little girl around soon...

alexandra said...

So cute! The 2nd is so much easier to train than the first, I think, just because they have a role model. Peter looks just like Paul in that last photo of him, too.

Becky Lowe said...

You know how little ones get your hopes all up and then decide it isn't worth the pressure and revert to diapers. But Grandpa Lowe told me that somehow, invariably, they all get potty-trained before kindergarten. And he was right!