Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bedroom Makeover

My arms and back ache right now, and it stings under my fingernails from paper cuts. But you know what? Our bedroom is finally going to get done! And I'm not going to be that person who paints another coat on top of a textured wallpaper border, or the person who applies a new border on top of an older one. No, I am really going to be that thorough.

Our bedroom is pretty ugly. I'm sure you've caught glimpses of it in the many pictures I've posted on here, and thought to yourselves, do they really have a sage green bedspread and seafoam bluish-grayish-green walls? (If you haven't had this thought, you probably weren't looking at the pictures hard enough. It really clashes.) So it's not a color we would have chosen ourselves, but the walls are also covered with flaws; old security system boxes (I think that's what they were), a few large cracks that were poorly puttied over, gaping nail holes, and of course the painted-over textured wallpaper border that covers up an even older one.

Back in December when our ward had a goods and services gift exchange, I came away with (in my mind) the BEST deal ever: a home improvement project of my choice from my good friend Patrice. I cannot praise her skills enough. She has fixed her home up largely on her own, with two little kids and a husband who has very little spare time to help. She framed and drywalled their basement, installed a new counter top, and added a lot of cool built-in features to their home. And her work never looks DIY. She researches and learns how to do stuff, and has the confidence to tackle most projects on her own. I only wish I were that cool.

So when she came to "evaluate" our bedroom, she would not hear of just painting it. She's going to get the walls looking decent. I'm so excited! I'm also borrowing her jigsaw to make a nice headboard. This is going to start to come together pretty fast now, so stay tuned...

5 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Oooh, how exciting! I can't wait to tackle my bedroom and bathroom--they're hideous, and need some serious TLC. But that will have to wait until life settles down after a new one, of course. How fun that you get your very own consultant and helper--for FREE!! I'm kinda jealous...

Haily Brian said...

I excited to see the results! I know Patrice is amazing. I do not have that talent or maybe it's ambition? We are going to try and paint soon too. I loved what you said about being a Mother. You are such a great one!

Nicole said...

Thank you for not painting over the border. I don't know why people think that is okay. They come off so much easier without the paint. We were able to tackle our bedroom before we moved in and it only needed a coat of paint. Good luck!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Hooray!! That is definitely exciting. I don't even know Patrice, but I'll thank her along with you. What a wonderful thing to do!

Marliese said...

That is a super friend to have. Good luck...how exciting!