Thursday, September 25, 2008

Serious Nesting

As my due date fast approaches, I've felt this anxiety to get everything "cute" and finished. I've been drawing up designs for the baby quilt I'm making. I made a sailboat blanket for Benjamin before he was born, so I'm trying to figure out what to do for this next little boy. I really wish I had endless supplies of scraps at my disposal like I did last time (thanks again, Grandma Cannon!), but I'll just have to get creative. It can get expensive to buy all the fabrics!
Mainly, I've just been finishing up projects that I know I'll never finish if I wait until after the baby comes. I don't have any idea what life with two is like, but I imagine any "me" time will be even further decimated, at least for a while.

The gourds that I bought with my birthday money last year (I'm a dork, I know!) got left out in the yard all winter to rot. Not on purpose, but that's just what happened. So this summer, a beautiful, healthy gourd plant started growing on the side of our house, and so far we have three mini pumpkins! Cute, huh? I just really like the fact that they came from our yard!

I saw these great fabric covered block letters at Anthropologie a few months ago, and determined I was going to figure out how to make them. I never did find any 3D letters, so I settled for these flat ones that I could hang on the wall, and affixed scrapbook paper with spray adhesive. Not the best quality picture, but they do have interesting patterns.
The St. Louis Cardinals pennant was left by the previous owner, and so we used it in Benjamin's room. Cute story: I checked out a Baseball ABC book at the library for Benjamin (which I subsequently had to renew for him), and he literally memorized what every letter of the alphabet stands for. So he has a pretty advanced baseball vocabulary now: "Autograph, Babe Ruth, Cap....Logo...Pennant...Vendor." He even points out the correct logo and says "St. Louis Cardinals." Too bad we never made it to a game this season! Hopefully next year.
Here is the cow jumping over the moon picture from "Goodnight Moon" that I finished a while ago, but never framed. It's just acrylic paint. He likes it.
Another bad picture with glare, but you get the idea. I finally finished "Drummer Hoff" and framed it to hang in Benjamin's room. It's cut colored paper and black ink. I think the original from the book is all woodcut. I love the illustrations from this book, so this was fun to do!
And here's the finished little corner in Benjamin's new room, complete with his big boy bed. I think I'm going to hang Drummer Hoff on an opposite wall. Oh, so since my last venting post, Benjamin has done considerably better going to bed and staying put. Paul carried him back without speaking to him one night and that was enough to shake him up I guess. He stays! We are still working on the other little issue however...

6 comments:

Maddy Lucas said...

Wait did you paint that Goodnight Moon picture? It's amazing! It looks really good in his room which is a great shade of yellow by the way. nice!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Sarah, you are stinkin' cool. Right now I'm wishing I was more like you! Drummer Hoff is awesome-- nice work (and lots of work!). The cow jumping over the moon is one of the coolest illustrations I've ever seen. If you found a way to reprint it, I'm sure you would sell copies very well. (I for one would love a copy.) You're a very talented painter-- I think your original style is the best part.

Calley said...

Ohh Sarah, you're such an art prodigy. I love those pictures! Ben is lucky to have such a hip hop room, its so cute! You are the only person I know (and probably will ever know :) that buys gourds for their birthday. And for that, I think you're the best :) Hope that baby comes soon! Good luck the next few days!

Sarah said...

Wow!!! Once again I am totally impressed with all your talent. Everything looks great. Good job! What lucky kids!

alexandra said...

What wonderful art work! I love his cute room!

Henry Parents said...

You are so talented, Sarah!! I love the "Goodnight Moon" one, it's one of Henry's favorites. We might need to check out the alphabet book, Henry really likes "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" and it has helped him get some of his letters down.

I saw those letters at Anthropologie and almost bought a "B" for Bjork. But didn't cause I am cheap. Let me know if you are able to find 3-D letters, I had the same idea.

Good to hear about potty training - I have backed off with Henry for a bit. I am thinking once it gets cold out and we are in the house more, then I will hit it harder. I am not looking forward to it.