Sunday, September 21, 2008

An Unlikely Rock Concert

Right now, I'm the Primary Secretary, so I have minimal responsibilities with all the benefits of being with the kids. It's a fun calling. I don't do sharing times, I don't conduct, and I don't go to Stake meetings. But I do get to hang out every Sunday with an awesome bunch of ladies in the ward, most with little kids around Benjamin's age. Three of them have new babies that hang out in the back with us each week, so our new little boy will be in good company.

Today was our ward's greatly anticipated Primary Program. It's the culmination of the year with songs they've been practicing since January and lines that many kids have memorized. I was in charge of sending out invitations for the event. It's amazing how the stress level in the primary leadership drops after the program is finished. No more rehearsals, no more indulging strung-out kids with candy, and it's the last time we hear the songs we've all heard a million times.

I went up to sit in the stands between two CTR 7 boys, one with autism and the other with behavioral issues, so part of my time was spent holding the seats so they couldn't bounce them back and forth during the songs, and helping them up to the stand for their parts. Benjamin, who used to freak out when I'd go up to the podium, was beaming at me from the audience the entire time. You'd have thought he was at a rock concert, getting to hear all of his favorite songs sung by all of his idols (a.k.a. big kids). I got to watch all of the nursery kids from the stand. All of them were attentive for a good part of the time, but Benjamin was especially transfixed. Some of his favorites were "Called to Serve" (the "Marching Song"), "Dare to do Right," and "I Love to See the Temple."

It was a really powerful program with several duets and family numbers that brought me close to tears. I love how the Primary songs teach the most simple, basic truths of the gospel. I love being in a position where I can serve these kids who have such simple faith. I am constantly reminded of how I need to become more like a little child- humble, submissive, teachable, patient and full of love. It's interesting to me how as teenagers and as young adults, we try to get as far away from being a child as we can. (Believe me, I AM old enough and mature enough to be the mother of this two year old AND have another one on the way!) As we attempt to convince our own children and critical observers of our right to authority, I think we lose the child-like qualities that we need to have. I guess most of us have a lifetime to work our way back to where we started, and I, for one, am constantly fumbling my way back to the beginning of that path. Maybe if they keep me in Primary for long enough, I'll figure it out.

1 comment:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Remind me to tell you sometime about the funniest talk I ever heard in primary. It involved a live chicken...