Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Transition Complete

Well, we've had the "big boy bed" for a few months now sitting next to Benjamin's crib, and for the most part, it's sole purpose was our reading spot. Benjamin thought it was cool at first, but eventually couldn't handle the freedom. He craved his bars. So for a while, I had a few totes set up next to his crib where he could climb in and out on his own (to get him used to freedom and to save my back). He liked that...especially the part where he could get up at 6 am sharp every morning and come out of his room to wake us up.
During our last trip to the library, I started getting serious about looking for big brother books, potty books and big boy bed books. He loves reading them over and over again. So this past weekend, we finally bought an area rug, picked a wall color, and painted the new room. Then I decided to just make the commitment yesterday and moved his big boy bed and other essential furniture into his new space. I took everything off his old walls, hid the old crib mattress, and left it pretty bare looking in his old room. He helped me carry all of his books, teddy bears and blankets into the new room, so he felt involved in the process.
Nap time was a little disastrous yesterday. It got later and later, and he became more and more irrational about actually taking a nap, especially after I mentioned the candy we'd go and buy at the store should he took a nap in his new bed. I finally pinned him down and hummed some songs, and it worked. He was too exhausted to fight anymore. After his nap, we went to the grocery store and he picked his favorite candy, Peanut M&M's. That night, he wanted to call Grandma and tell her about his big accomplishment.
When bedtime rolled around, and it was a lesser struggle, but a struggle nonetheless to get him to go to sleep in a new place. He finally let me out of the room and stayed put with "Cuddles" (his blankie), a stack of about 20 books, a dozen stuffed animals, his little train and a bottle of water. I went in after he was asleep to clean up of course. Then in the middle of the night, he fell out. I went in and he was shaking and pretty upset. So I rocked him for a while then laid down with him. The thunderstorm outside didn't help him go back to sleep anytime soon, so I spent who knows how long slowly inching back out of the room. But he did it. And nap time today wasn't bad at all. I think he's still figuring out a comfortable new routine, but as far as I'm concerned, we're there. Perhaps I'm a terrible parent for forcing this transition on him, but my previous method certainly didn't work. He'll get over the trauma, right?
Oh, so a baby update...we tried to find one of those ultrasound places while we were in Utah, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist anymore. I couldn't find any current listings anywhere. So at my last doctor's appointment, I met with the nurse and told her I'd REALLY like another ultrasound to find out what we're having. None of my symptoms seemed to work as a medical reason to have one, but she assured me that if she were authorized to do it, she would have. Instead, she left a little note for the doctor (who I'll be meeting with again in a few weeks) suggesting that the baby might need to be measured again ;). So we'll see. I know some people like surprises, but I need to know. I like to prepare physically for a certain gender, and somehow that makes it more real for me mentally. Paul's the same way. It's still really weird for us to actually picture having another baby, and I'm entering my third trimester in a week. So crazy!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck with the whole bed thing! It sounds like he's catching on pretty quick.
What a bummer about the whole ultrasound thing. I was actually just thinking about that the other day...wondering if you had found out yet. I hope you're able to find out.

Calley said...

Hooray! Transitions are always a little tricky, but it sounds like you're being firm with him and he'll get the hang of it. Whew!
And that is so lame about the ultrasound! I had to go scouting around to find one of those Utah-ish places too. I ended up looking online and typed "keepsake ultrasounds Seattle" or something to that effect and that's how I found them. There's got to be one nearby or something! I'll cross my fingers for you.

alexandra said...

so exciting! measuring is th eperfect excuse, too.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

That's right, Sarah, you tell 'em! I know they can find out the gender. You're just being a squeakier wheel now. :)

Wow, good job with Benjamin! I hope it gets easier by the day.