Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Big Boy Triumphs


















Benjamin is comfortably settled into his big boy bed now and has told me that the crib is for the baby in Mommy's tummy. He hasn't given the baby permission to play with any of his toys, however.

He's also been talking like crazy--in full sentences! I think this really started to take off while we were in Utah and around so many people, and it hasn't slowed down since. He loves to enunciate big words that he's learned how to say, like "bah-nana." He loves to say prayers, and will usually repeat it several times, fully expecting us to close our eyes and bow our heads each time. Benjamin loves hearing scripture stories, especially the one about baby Moses and the one where Jesus calms the raging tempest. He wanted that picture hanging above his bed.

I tried to cut his hair the other day, but my skill level and his patience resulted in a half-job. So it's shorter on top and longer around the ears and the back. I only cut a little off though, so it's not too obvious of a mullet. I've asked him several times since if we can finish it, but he hasn't let me yet. It's not one of those things I think would be a good idea to force...

Before he would let me near his head, we of course had to cut all of his stuffed animals' hair. And then he had to do it himself to see that the buzzer wasn't scary. I got a little video of him cutting Bear's hair. I'm sure I'm the only one who thinks it's funny though, since I'm his mommy.




I guess potty training is also now underway, so we get to spend a lot of time in that lovely 70's bathroom. I haven't done much other than read Benjamin a few books and buy him a little stool to stand on, but the kid is motivated. He has had several successes, although it's usually after running around naked for an hour in anticipation. I still need to figure out his rhythm.

So our days go like this. I'll ask, "Benjamin, do you have to go potty?" To which he'll usually reply, "Oh, yes!" Then he gets totally undressed, puts his new stool in place and gets in position, making sure that I'm nearby and watching. He then tries really hard with no success, so I'll say, "Good try!" He then wants to get off and on, over and over, saying "It's coming!" After this repeats itself several times, I suggest, "Should we go put your diaper back on and try again later?" To which he'll usually reply, "No! Potty again!"

And thus it ensues for an hour or more...but he has gone a few times--and usually very cleanly. I never had to do the whole target practice thing with him. But I do reward him with "monkey snacks" (fruit snacks) for each time he goes. He and I are still figuring out when to anticipate an actual need and get there in time. In the meantime, I really don't mind diapers. I think they're far more convenient when we're out, so I'm not really pushing it. Maybe that will change in a few months when we're buying diapers for two!

6 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Good luck! You're a brave woman. With Natalie the treat-every-time-you-go thing didn't work out so well--she learned how to manipulate me pretty well with that one in no time. It finally became the grand prize of a princess dress after 7 consecutive days without any accidents. But of course she was well past 2 1/2 by then, and her reasoning capabilities were much more mature... I'm sure Benjamin will do great, but I also think you're wise to just keep the diapers around for a while--they are WAY more convenient, especially when you're out and about! :)

Melanie said...

Benjamin's getting on the Potty Train! Woo Hoo! Not that the Potty Train is anything this mom would know about. I would love to have Leah be on it, but she seems less than motivated. Eh, maybe we'll try when she's three.

When's your due date again?

Liz said...

Good luck finishing the haircut, and with the potty! It sounds like he's doing well - just going at his own pace.

alexandra said...

What a big boy! I cannot believe he is already a two year old! They just grow up so quickly, and every month after they turn 2 they evolve by leaps and bounds. My only thought on potty training is that you either want to get it totally established by the time the baby or that you wait until after the baby is born. Newly trained kids tend to revert with the arrival of new baby, and then trying to train while you have a tiny newie could be really hard on you.

I am so excited to hear whether the new one is a boy or a girl (I am betting on boy)!

love
alexandra

Sarah said...

I love the picture at the top of the post. He looks so grown up. Good luck with everything...the potty training and the hair cut. I was feeling motivated to potty train Emma a while back so we bought the potty and started talking about it, but then it just got so overwhelming. Someday...

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

How's "The Potty Book"? Benjamin seems to be enjoying it. I hear it's tough stuff to potty train. Good luck. I'm thinking of you!