Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ritz Crackers, Anyone?


So I’m pretty sure I’ve never bought Ritz crackers during Benjamin’s lifetime. We don’t buy a lot of snack food in general. The other day, the two of us made a quick trip to the store to grab a bag of chips on our way to a picnic with some friends. As we walked down the snack aisle, Benjamin gravitated right to a big red box of Ritz crackers and would not be parted with them. I suggested maybe we could get some different crackers, but there was no comparison. I finally showed him a cheaper Schnuck’s-brand version of the Ritz crackers, and he gave in. I guess they looked similar enough.
I couldn’t figure out where he might have had them before. I did vaguely remember seeing a pop-art Target-esque commercial for Ritz crackers recently, but had no idea when or where I’d seen it. We don’t watch TV with Benjamin, so I figured he couldn’t have seen the commercial with us. I mentioned this later to Paul, who remembered we had all seen that commercial during the previews to Kung Fu Panda. Interesting.
So I wonder if Ritz cracker sales have spiked in the past week and a half that that movie’s been out. I’ve forgotten just how powerful advertising can be on a young mind. I mean, don’t we all know that Lucky Charms are far superior to Marshmallow Matey’s because they’re “magically delicious”?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

My first thought was that maybe he had had them in nursery. Emma picks up all sorts of stuff in there...at least I assume that's where she picks it up. Maybe the previews and commercials she watches are getting her too.

alexandra said...

First of all, Benjamin's got it right. Ritz are way better than the generic. There is no substitute for the real thing. Now if that kids starts pulling nutella off the shelves to go with the Ritz, you have got to give me a call. He's a genious!

Liz said...

Well, at least there are a lot of unhealthier things than Ritz crackers. Ben has good taste!

You're right, advertising is powerful stuff. And it's so hard to avoid these days!

Melanie said...

And I still listen to advertising, sometimes. There are certain things that I can understand buying generic and other things I just CAN NOT. For instance, I will always buy Cheerios, never Toasted Oats. No way.

Parker and Vanessa said...

so true

Momo Cannon said...

I will be sure to have some Ritz on hand when you arrive next week! Love, Grandma Cannon

Henry Parents said...

Could it be from nursery? I know Henry gets them during snack time, he hasn't developed too much interest in them yet. I'm sure if nutella were involved though, then he'd be all up for it.

Sounds like your garden is rockin'. We don't have too much activity, since we started a little late (it's only been in a few weeks), but the cucumbers are definitely the fastest growers so far.

Have you guys started a compost? It's almost as addictive as gardening. Keep me updated, glad to have found more gardening dorks (: