Friday, June 06, 2008

It's a....

Yup, that's right. We had our ultrasound yesterday with nothing to show for it, other than a healthy, stubborn baby.

I guess I'm spoiled after having Benjamin in Utah Valley, a.k.a. baby factory, USA. We had videos and fantastic pictures of him at 10, 16, 20 and 24 weeks. They even did 3D/4D images, and we found out his gender at 16 weeks. Our ultrasound technicians there were fantastic, and jostled him around enough to get the right shots for us.

I love my current doctor. She and I really get along, and she delivers at the best hospital in our area, so it's a great fit. I consented when she said they needed to wait until 20 weeks to have the ultrasound done, even though I wanted to find out a little sooner (like I had with Benjamin). So in our opinion, she definitely didn't probe enough during the ultrasound. She would almost get the right shot, but then its little foot/umbilical cord would get in the way or she'd move and start taking measurements. It was so frustrating! And such a let down after all the anticipation.

For me anyways, it doesn't all seem quite as real until I can refer to it as a him or her. I am of course displaying classic signs of pregnancy and getting rounder in the middle, but that's about it. I'll probably end up going to one of those places in the mall...I used to think those places were ridiculous until now!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So frustrating! What a bummer. I would definitely go to one of those mall places. It would drive me crazy not to know. Hope you get to find out.

Calley said...

Aaargh! How frustrating! I totally know how that feels. That happened with this baby too. And I ended up putting my foot in my mouth and going to a private ultrasound place too. Some do gender-only checks for "cheap". A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do! Good luck!

merathon said...

call me crazy, but i think you should just stick it out and try being surprised! it really is SO much fun waiting for that moment after all your hard work. . . "it's a _______"

i think this must have been a sign that this is what you're supposed to do! just try it out and see how fun it is!

Andi said...

Stubborn baby! Mine was hiding her parts until I begged to be able to get up and shake her around a bit until she changed position. It worked though! I hope you find out soon! I think it is way too hard to not know. Oh and we do want to hang out with you guys but we are out of town this week. When we get back for sure!

Momo Cannon said...

So happy "newie" is healthy and active! We are so excited! Love, Grandma Cannon