Saturday, March 08, 2008

"They shall be ashamed ... that are makers of idols"

Paul here. A lot has happened since Sarah last posted about American Idol that has caused me to go from casual, mildly entertained observer to borderline crazed fanatic. I confess, when I realize it's only Monday and Idol isn't on for another 24 hours I get silently impatient. I displace my frustrations by making fun of Sarah for being bummed about it. So what has brought me to this loathesome and laughable infatuation?

First of all, allowing the contestants to play instruments has dramatically enhanced the fun factor. I was stunned when David Cook came out with his south paw Les Paul and totally rocked Lionel Richie's "Hello." Lionel Richie's Hello? The one with the blind sculptor? Never saw that coming.

There was also Brooke White singing, again with the guitar, "You're so Vain, " and following up the next week with one of my favorite Pat Benatar songs of all time ever, "Love is a Battlefield". She's my new favorite LDS contestant in the competition; sorry David A.

Well there you have it. I hope my new found affinity for American Idol does not cast me in with the "makers of idols" that Isaiah is talking about (Isaiah 45:16). But he was right about one thing; I am ashamed to be so drawn in. But not ashamed enough to keep my confession off the web, for all 4 of you to see.

1 comment:

Momo Cannon said...

Well, Paul. You must take after your dad who always said that he "should have been a rock star." Is this your secret desire? Love, Momo