Thursday, March 20, 2008

First Kiss and Other Bits

Benjamin got his first kiss yesterday, and he's not even two yet. It was pretty funny. I was at my good friend Stefanie's house yesterday morning. She has a little girl, Saida, who is just two months older than Benjamin, and a four-week old, Harmon, who is so chunky and cute! Saida and Benjamin are good buddies from nursery, so they have a good time when we get together. As we were leaving, I told Benjamin to go give her a hug. It was really sweet as they exchanged little hugs and kisses on the cheeks. We had to break them up when a couple landed on each other's lips though. The whole way home, I heard Benjamin from the back seat saying, "Kiss! Kiss!" Oh, man! He is going to be a heart breaker.

This last Saturday, we got all the materials we needed to start our first "Square Foot Garden." We got enough to make two 4'x4' boxes and have all the seeds ready to go. We've just been inundated with rain for the past couple of days, that we haven't gotten them put together just yet. I'm just really excited to plant a bunch of strawberry plants! One can never have too many garden-fresh strawberries on hand is what I say. We'll also plant herbs, corn, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, peas, peppers and broccoli. I can hardly wait!

So about a week and a half ago, our neighbor, Cathy called. She had seen the PBS Mormon documentary and wanted to know more about our church. I set up a dinner with her and the Sister Missionaries in our ward, and ever since, she has been absolutely inspiring to us! I have never met anyone so faithful in my life. She has been searching for the right church for years, and knew this was the right thing for her. She is getting baptized the end of April. We just feel privileged to know her!

And the last bit of news that is not so great is that our kitchen pipes that gave us so much grief a few months ago, are up to more trouble. We started noticing a growing brown spot on the carpet in the basement, and worried it might be a leak in the foundation. Luckily (I guess?) that was not the case. Instead, the entire stack of pipes from the floorboards to the roof need to be replaced, as they have rusted through. And it's going to be over $1000. You gotta love being a home owner! :)

5 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

It is great to read your blog. I like knowing about your life successes and challenges. I loved the video clip of Benjamin. We miss him! Love, MOMO

Sarah said...

I love the hugs and kisses. So cute! Hooray for your garden. I would LOVE to have a garden...someday. Fresh strawberries sound so good.
That is so cool about Cathy. We have a couple neighbors who I think would be great members of the Church but I am just too chicken to do anything. So, thanks for sharing your story. That really is so cool.

alexandra said...

i am so excited to see ben in a few weeks! he and a are going to have a fun time! what a cutie! we miss you guys. let's coordinate a utah trip!

Liz said...

What a heartbreaker! You're going to have to beat the girls off with a stick.

Can you believe we're grown-up enough to have problems like leaky pipes? Doesn't that sound like a problem our parents would have? ;-)

Tracy said...

You go! I've been a homeowner for 7 years and our "garden" is still a pile of sticks. Your notion of never having too many fresh strawberries on hand may be just the thing that finally gets it started this spring. YUM.