Sunday, January 06, 2008

When was the last time Duct Tape Saved Your Life?

Sarah feels like she has made this site into too much of a Mommy Blog and has asked me to step in/up and try to make a post that people besides grandparents will enjoy. I'm not sure I can do that, but I can at least try to write a post without mentioning Benjamin (or the fact that he went to Nursery all by himself for the first time today.) Here goes.

I have one more reason to laude the magic of duct tape. I've always known that this stuff could pretty much fix anything, but I never thought it would actually save my life. This past weekend Sarah and I decided to paint the dull white walls of our front room. After taking the Christmas tree to the curb and clearing out the furniture I felt like it was as good a time as any to finally rip those monstrous mirrors off the wall. When we first decided to buy this house we both agreed that the mirrors would be the first thing to go, but we just never got the courage to try. They're MASSIVE! But with the room totally empty and a hammer in my hand I felt empowered.

We carefully pried the mirrored borders from the edges exposing two huge, thick mirrors that just wouldn’t budge. I put the claw side of the hammer behind the mirror and began to gently pull the lever. As we listened to the glue slowly peal behind the mirror Sarah calmly said, “Wait. All the hairs on my head and neck are standing on end. We need to get some duct tape.” Fortunately for us, Sarah has a crush on one of the carpenters of our favorite HGTV show and remembered how they always duct tape the mirrors when they pull them off the walls.

After putting nearly a whole roll of duct tape zigzagged across each of the mirrors, I began again to try to leverage them off. Again I heard the glue pealing and my heart took courage, then SNAP! A huge crack shot across the top third of the mirror and nothing but a few strands of duct tape stood between me and certain decapitation. I leaped back in terror, but it wasn’t my whole life that flashed before my eyes, just Sarah’s calm words. I guess the seven years bad luck I’m sure to have will be pacified as long as I have Sarah’s wicked awesome spider sense to keep me safe (that and a good roll of duct tape.)

So I know I’m not the only one who’s had their life saved by duct tape. We’d love to hear your stories.


Here's the nearly finished project, brought to you by Benjamin himself.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That's a great story. We loved it! And congratulations to Benjamin on going to nursery!

merathon said...

that's quite a story. can't wait to see what it looks like once the furniture is all back in the room! painting is a lot bigger deal than i realized it would be when we moved in a year and a half ago. we painted almost every room in the house and lived to tell about it!

oh, and sarah--yes, we share an anniversary! we loved having our reception at the MOA, especially since we got married in the Provo Temple, so it was great having everything CLOSE!

Liz said...

Interesting how having a crush on a hunky home repairman can stave off disaster, huh? ;-)

Sarah, I wish you could have joined me for my spa evening the other night. It would have been like freshman year all over again! Paul, I would say you could have come, too, but I didn't think you were into pedicures and face masks.

Yeah, we're excited for Phoenix. I can't wait to be near family again! It's great out here, but it's lonely. However, we ARE close to Virginia - whenever I hear Virginia these days, I think of you being from Vienna. Funny what sticks in your mind, isn't it?

alexandra said...

Wow. Isnt it weird when a near tragedy that would have ended or altered your life is averted, and rises to nothing more than a funny anecdote? I am glad you guys are into HGTV. What color did you paint? It looks great!

Bill, Kristin, Will and Kayla said...

Sounds like quite the adventure. I'm glad everyone's ok and I'm sure the room looks great now, knowing Sarah's amazing artistic skills. Paul, maybe reading your post will get Bill inspired to add to our blog.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

What does the duct tape actually do? It seems like the mirror could crack anywhere, duct-taped or not. Now I'm curious.