Thursday, July 31, 2014

What Went Where

I took these pictures a few weeks ago (so there's been some change even since then), but I thought I'd give you an idea of how we're using all of this new found space! Let me tell you, it is marvelous. We essentially have three times the living space with the same amount of stuff, so if the rooms feel sparse- that's why. We're not in any rush to fill it up with stuff, though. My wheels are constantly turning with this giant blank canvas of mine. It's hard to commit to a color palette or specific style though, now that I'm decorating for me and not just for the housing market. 
So come on in! Make yourself at home, and while you're here, throw your ideas at me. I'd love to hear them. Coming through the double red doors, you'll come into our foyer. It's fun to have a real foyer. I'd love to do something fun with the walls in here. Something to play off that curved wall.
Looking back at the front door, you'll see one of the closets on either side. That rug has been with us since the beginning. We picked it out at Crate and Barrel when we were brand newlyweds with a stack of gift cards. This seemed like the most logical place to put it, since those doors needed something a little bigger than a standard door mat. So, other than for sentimental purposes, this rug doesn't need to stay or define the space. 
The room to the right of the foyer is where the piles of book boxes still live. I keep debating whether it's worth it to just get some temporary bookshelves in here or not. We have plans for some pretty built-ins along the wall where that old (free to us) couch is sitting. Again, the rug and couch were just carried over from the old basement, and I'm even less attached to them as I am to our red foyer rug.
There's no overhead lighting (in here or in the family room), so we'll need to add some. Turning around in the room, you can see where the piano ended up, and the family room behind it.
 Walking back through the foyer, you can see the other closet and part of the dining room.
 This is where our table and chairs ended up. I never thought I'd need a formal dining room, but we've already used it a lot. Whenever friends come over, we eat in here and let the kids take over the kitchen. I'd love to add some architecture to the walls, and at least one sideboard.
 Coming back over to the front room of boxes, you can head back into the family room. (are you starting to notice how this color is in EVERY room? I'm not kidding. I found two giant buckets of leftover paint in the garage. What I find interesting is how differently it reads, room to room. I can't tell you how much I'm itching to paint over it. Probably gray in here, with natural wood-looking beams.
You can also come in here through the foyer and the kitchen, where you see the back of the sectional. I haven't figured out the best layout in here, but for now, this works. Although the once-giant rug is almost too small for this space. This room is huge!
 And the lovely wet bar, that houses all the homeless artwork and games. I can't bring myself to hang any artwork until I settle on the look I want for each room.
Coming into the kitchen from the family room, here's what you see. We got a free second hand table from a family who just moved, but I'm already itching to replace it. It's seen better days, and the leg keeps falling off. The shape is right though. I wouldn't do anything much bigger. The mismatched chairs are also temporarily borrowed from other rooms. 

I decided to go with a white fridge so it would blend in better with the cabinetry on this side, and had to wait a week to get it as a result. I'm also loving my new washer and dryer right there. I wish I could say it's solved all of my bad laundry habits, but I'd be lying. 

When you go upstairs, the first bedroom on your left is Lydia's room. This has worked really well for the overall flow to have her right there, near our room and closest to the downstairs. I've added another bookshelf and some artwork in here since this was taken. This may be the one room in the house where the wall color doesn't bother me, so it might stay as it is.
Right next to Lydia's room is Nora's room, which is also slowly evolving. She no longer has that desk, which came from the same friend who gave us the kitchen table. The set also has two dressers, which now live in here. They'll be really cute once I paint them. For now though, this may be the ugliest room in the house with the clashing wall color and yellowish furniture. The sheer curtains are also just a temporary fix. 
Next to Nora's room is our room, which is great. I love not having five awkwardly placed windows to work around. We've put a new bookshelf and dresser in here, so it's really starting to feel livable. 
Here's the master bathroom. It has SO much storage, and even a vanity. I'm in heaven. Did I mention I don't have to share a bathroom with four kids anymore?! Luxury right here. 
 Coming down the hallway from our bedroom, the first doorway on your right is the boys' bathroom. It's neutral and updated, and great. I may hang some artwork in here and call it a day.
The girl's bathroom is the doorway right next to it, and it's got a little more work before I'm satisfied. I'm thinking of painting the tub tile in wide horizontal stripes right now- white and black. I might paint the vanity black and paint the walls something that compliments the green tub a little better. Right now, it just hurts my eyes.
 Benjamin's room is right next to the girls' bathroom, and has two giant windows that look out into the backyard. He chose this room specifically though because...
 ...it has two glass shelf closets. :) Yeah, these aren't staying. First of all, he has no where to store his things, and second of all, they're GLASS. Moving on!
 Peter's room is next to Benjamin's. I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to see him in his own space. He's no longer the little brother in the bottom bunk bending to Benjamin's will. He and Benjamin seem to be becoming better friends too with a little extra space between them. They're always off on bike rides or playing in the woods or playing games together. So for all my worrying about putting a chasm between them with a physical wall, it's worked out really well- at least so far!
Next to Peter's room is the "guest room," which will eventually have a bed and a few less random toys in it. :) It also has my sewing machine and craft supplies in the closet.
So there you have it! I didn't take any pictures of the basement, since we never go down there anyways. But if you picture concrete walls and lots of empty boxes, you wouldn't be too far off.
I know the best strategy is to tackle room by room, so I'm trying to decide where to start. Probably the family room or the foyer. I'll keep you all posted!

6 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

I am glad you have all this space for your super creativity to be used! I will be happy to see it evolve!

Liz said...

It's a beautiful space! So light and airy. This must be a dream for an amazing artist like you!

Danielle said...

Your house looks amazing! That's so great your kids can all have their own rooms.

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow, Sarah! Just got caught up on your blog after a few week's hiatus, and enjoyed every post! Your vacation looked like it was wonderful, It was fun to read up on how Nora is growing up, and the house looks great. Glad things are going so well. I'm sure at times the chaos is frustrating, but you will make it wonderful, no doubt. I miss you...

Rachel Sorber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky Lowe said...

Goodness, how fun to finally catch up on your blog and see how you're using the space in that big house! I love it. Each little bed represents a sweet little person who is going to grow up there. I am sure you will make every room in that house look fabulous before too long. Have fun!