Thursday, July 24, 2014

Utah Trip Part One

Our family's annual drive to Utah started just about a week after we moved in to our new house. We left at 4 in the morning, and drove all day. Lydia took some time to adjust to the idea of being in the car all day, but the other kids did great. We had tons of snacks and movies to watch, and the kids were pretty content. We pulled in to my parent's house around 11:00, which was our best time yet. Twenty hours!
We left a day earlier than planned, and were glad we could make it to my sister Michelle's bridal shower. Here's me with my three little sisters and my Mom!
Lydia and Abby got reacquainted. They are about a month apart, but worlds apart in personality. It was fun to watch them interact.
Two of my brothers are in Utah right now too. Uncle Nathan and David were instant favorites among the kids.
My Grandparents on my Mom's side invited us to go fishing with them one day near their family cabin. Peter had a real knack for it! I think he caught more than anyone besides my Grandma and Grandpa, who were the real pros of the group.
I honestly never knew that my Grandma loves to fish. It adds a whole new dimension to this woman who I feel like I am only beginning to know. It's funny how you can know someone your whole life, and still not really know them.

Nathan brought his rubber fishing pants, and took the kids out away from the shore. Lydia was loving it.
We took walks around the cabin to see the horses...
...the beautiful wild poppies...
 
...the creek...
...and our shadows. My Mom is so fun with the kids!
Benjamin got some great one-on-one time with Grandpa. They played horseshoes for a while!

We had a delicious fish dinner with all the fish we caught! The kids loved this part.
 I'm a lucky girl to have grandparents who some of my kids will always remember.
We spent part of a day at my sister Miriam's new house, which was a lot of fun! 

We also prepped for Michelle's wedding, played around in the back yard, and visited with my Grandma on my Dad's side. Nora and Peter both wanted piano lessons from my Mom, which she was happy to give.
She has taught piano for over thirty years, and still has students come to her home. She can even hold a wiggly baby while she does it! Wonder Woman, right there.
It's always a treat to see family, which is why we make the drive every year. I love that our kids know these places so well and have memories cemented in their minds of the people and places that will always be in their lives.

No comments: