Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Kitchen Peek

 I think I may have left everyone in a collective panic when I posted this last picture of our kitchen floors. No, we didn't go with red, and yes, we were overjoyed when every bit of that eye-offending underlayment was covered up. We had some pretty tricky spots to cut- especially around doorways and by the stairs, but in the end, we figured it out!
 Also, I realized I had no true "befores" to show, but you can kind of see the color behind Peter here. It was a dusty medium blue, and did nothing for the closet-like feel of the space.
And here's the floor! In all it's non-red-or-crusty-grayed glory! I love the color, although I might have even preferred to go a bit darker. I painted the chipped, yellowed cabinets a bright white, which also helped a lot. 

I also replaced the hardware and stripped and spray-painted all the hinges in oil rubbed bronze. I replaced the doorknob too. 

We also added trim and caulk around all the gaps, so it looks much, much better overall. With the fresh paint color on the walls and white cabinets, I don't even mind the counters at all, where they used to be a really unsettling color. I took down the toile curtains, leaving the door bare and adding a bamboo shade over the window. 
I think it looks much cleaner and brighter. We're not completely finished. On the other side of the room, the stove is still sitting on a piece of cardboard, waiting for a cabinet piece to be installed between it and the dishwasher. But we're close! I'll take true "afters" in the daytime next time, and hopefully get truer colors. But it may also mean we have tiny redheaded models showing it off. ;)

3 comments:

Becky Lowe said...

Nice! That really did update it and make it look clean and fresh. I love your floor. I think about you stripping and painting all the hinges and am so impressed, Sarah. I have done things like that and know how much work it is. Very nice!

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow, Sarah! Way to go--you've pulled it off! I'm very impressed. It looks great--I'm sure it will make selling much easier.

Thanks for the pics--and the clarification!

Jeannine said...

I love it! That's a ton of work, but it paid off very nicely! I like that you gave it a little style, but that it's subtle enough that anyone could fix it up the way they want. I'm excited to see the daytime "after" shot!