Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sleep and Daylight Savings

It seems like Daylight Savings Time is a common bane to young moms. Lately, that's seems to be the small-talk topic of conversation I have with everyone. This time though, I feel like Daylight Savings should have come three weeks ago! Lydia wakes up with the sun anyways, and her 7-turned-6 am wake-up time was killing me, even if it was just all in my head. I just can't deal with any time beginning with the number 6. (Is this just post traumatic early morning seminary stress disorder?) ;)  And unfortunately, with our current house layout and nice echo-y flooring, no one sleeps in much past Lydia's wake up calls. Luckily, the kids have always been pretty good about keeping themselves busy until I get up and get breakfast going.
On Friday night, we had a big "progressive dinner" party that we were part of hosting. It was late enough that I just put the girls to bed before it started, but the boys went to the church to play with their friends. It was a really late night for them, and the boys didn't get to bed until 10:30- hours past their normal bedtime.
My moss wreath I made! I love it.
The next day was predictably emotional and moody for the boys, so I was reluctant to give in to Benjamin's plea to sleep in a fort we made in the basement that night. I just wanted them to have a good night to make up for the last. I let them do it the next night though (on a school night, no less!), and the next morning I had to WAKE BENJAMIN UP ten minutes before the bus came. That never happens. EVER...even if he has a late night to recover from. Then Peter strolled upstairs around 9, happy and completely rested! (I've always felt that Peter in particular gave up naps way too early, and has perpetually gotten woken up too early) Hallelujah!!!
Needless to say, I let them sleep in the fort the next night, and the same thing happened. I'm ready to just move them down there if it means we all get a little extra sleep! Seriously.
We might have to come up with a more permanent solution though...

4 comments:

Liz said...

You do what you have to do sometimes! And how fun is a fort. That's childhood defined!

And I love your wreath. So pretty!

Rachel Sorber said...

Go, boys! I think moving them downstairs would be a grand idea--they could totally hack it. Why not?

I love the wreath, too! :)

Becky Lowe said...

I'm thinking you could partition part of the basement off for their bunkbeds and dresser. But is it freezing down there in the winter?

MarcD said...

Fort bed! Fort bed! You're a cool mom, Sarah. And if it works...

I love the sunny picture of your youngest three. So cute!

Your wreath is ridiculous. Why are you so good Sarah?