Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Costumes!

Peter really wanted to be Gandalf this year. But not Gandalf the Gray. He specifically asked to be Gandalf the White. This provided to be a bit of a challenge for me. I got the white robe and cape and started on a beard when I realized this could end up looking somewhat sacrilegious. So even though Gandalf the White doesn't wear a hat (at least in the movie), I made him a white witch hat too. He was so excited about it, and wanted to wear it around for a few days straight, which is when I noticed it sort of looked a little KKK-ish. Yikes. Anyways, I didn't need to worry so much. The white knotty staff helped a lot, and some good crumpling of that hat made it not so clannish-- or sacrilegious. He actually looked pretty awesome.
 Peter and his best friend Mason have birthdays almost exactly three weeks apart. We wanted to plan something low-key for them around their birthdays, and decided a Halloween-themed pre-Trunk-or-Treat party would be just the thing. Mason's mom Natalie is crafty too- she made all her kids' costumes. She and her sister-in-law pretty much planned the whole party too. We just provided our house. The kids had a lot of fun!
 The group- Mason, Peter, Eliza, Nora, Benjamin, Alex, another friend Brooklyn, and Mason's cousins Ellie and Charlie.
Benjamin as Frodo and Alex as a skeleton.
 Our three littles.
The two Tolkiens. Notice the ugly Hobbit feet. Toes and hand stitched hairs coming out and everything. I found the coat at Goodwill and (very amateurishly) sized it down to fit him. I was pretty proud of myself for figuring it out.
 I found the pin and the ring on Amazon, which arguably made the costume. There was no question on anyone's mind who he was supposed to be.
Nora desperately wanted to be Hello Kitty for Halloween. The ones at the store were ugly and overpriced. And when I thought about making one, I remembered I actually am not that talented of a seamstress, and she would probably end up looking nothing like Hello Kitty. So when I found this adorable butterfly costume at TJ Maxx, I knew it was the one. After some convincing (and getting her some Hello Kitty pj's instead of a costume) we were a go.
Paul and I didn't really plan anything, but I came up with this sticky-felt baby skeleton sort of last minute. I'm eighteen weeks now, which means I'll find out what we're having in two! For a while, I wondered if I could wait this time and be surprised about the gender since I'm already set either way, but I finally decided I'm just not that type of person. I need to know. Somehow, knowing makes it so much more real for me.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I'm totally with you on needing to know the gender. I mean, back when they didn't have the technology to find out, that was one thing...but now, how can you not?! How do you plan? And shop for clothes? And decorate? It's not like you're going to have oodles of time to buy blue or pink once the baby comes! I just don't get it.

Your kids' costumes are great! How funny that Gandalf ended up being so much drama. It came out splendidly, though! Nice work, Mama. :-)

merathon said...

oh come on! try the surprise route once! for people like you who say they "need to know" it is perfect to do it when you have at least one of each, so go for it! i am telling you-- there is no experience more amazing than the overwhelming feeling you have after pushing out a baby combined with hearing your husband say, "it's a ____!" i also think that all your friends and family get more excited with all the build up and anticipation. there is so much more news to TELL when the baby comes!

i know i am an extremely opinionated person, but i truly think that moms who don't ever try being surprised really miss out on something. hopping off my soapbox now... :)

p.s. great costumes! now what are MY kids gonna be...?

Abigail said...

I love your kids! Seeing them so big makes us miss them so much! Great job with the costumes, you are amazing Sarah!

Kara said...

I love your costumes. I was absolutely dying laughing at your ongoing assessment Peter's costume, you are so funny. He looked great! Not Klan-ish or sacrilegious at all.

I would be in the same boat as you, wanting to keep it a secret but ultimately wanting to know. Its just so tempting, and knowing that you could know at anytime would kill me.

Jeannine said...

I love the costumes! And I think it's awesome both Peter and Benjamin wanted to be Tolkein characters. Also, if it helps, I knew immediately who Peter was - but maybe that's because I'm somewhat of an LOTR nerd...

As for needing to know the gender, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about finding it out early! Haha I really hate surprises. I can't wait to hear what you're having! I should be finding out our baby's gender on 11/29...

McKenna said...

Such cute costumes! I love yours too ;). How exciting how all you girls tend to have babies around the same time. Can't wait to hear what you're having!