Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bunny Hutches

Baby bunny season is back! We have two little hutches in our yard, which Paul made sure to carefully mow around. Here's one of the mamas. Just after she removes the wadded ball of dried grass from the hole, she nurses the babies inside (that's what she's doing here, even though it just looks like she's resting). It's really sweet to watch. I love the bunnies in our neighborhood because they're 100% maintenance free. I don't know that we'll ever get our kids pets...Paul and I have very strong differences of opinion about whether dogs or cats are best. Let's just say we both had pretty extraordinary pets growing up, neither of which could ever be replicated.
The other day, the kids were making bunny hutches in the basement and wanted to show me. They also wanted to sleep in their hutches, which we let them do.
The kids have recently taken to the basement a lot more, and it's been wonderful! For a while, I was the one encouraging them, turning on lights before they'd go down, staying down there with them, etc. I think the breakthrough may have come when I let go of my hyper-organizing tendencies and let them really own the place. They're in charge of keeping it clean, and I (for the most part) stay out of it. The toys may not be in all the "right" boxes anymore, but at least they play with them! They must really love this new freedom.

1 comment:

Rachel Sorber said...

How fun. We have had a playroom ever since Natalie was old enough to play, and in each house, I've allowed that room to just be "owned" by the kids. It's always a huge mess (except for when we have clean-up days, which may be twice a month...maybe more, maybe less, depending on whether we're having company over), but the girls love it! And I love having a place I can allow to let the girls mess up, so I can shoo the mess out of my living room and other more public areas of the house. I'm so glad you've got that space now. Those kids are pretty lucky.