Monday, June 07, 2010

Summer Days

So far our Summer has been good. We've all been adjusting to the lack of structure. Benjamin has been especially interesting these past few weeks, wanting to control EVERYTHING and throwing a fit if things don't go his way. I guess Montessori provided a place for him where he was in control of his learning and activities for a few hours each day. Now that that time is gone, he's been having a lot more fits when things don't go his way. I'd heard really good things about "Love and Logic" parenting methods, but this week I finally got desperate enough to find this book at the library and try it out. I'm not even very far into it, but we're already doing a lot better.



This gestational diabetes thing is going alright. I'm on the lookout for good alternatives to eggs and toast in the morning, but it's been generally easy to control. And whenever I'm feeling a need for something sweet, sugar-free Jello pudding is my go-to snack. I love the stuff.


We've also been getting together with friends a lot these days, which has been a fun change of pace. We've been to the Transportation Museum, the Butterfly House, swimming, and have play dates at each others' houses.




Peter is a maniac in the pool. Somehow, he isn't even phased when he falls helpless, face-first into the water. I got him a full body flotation swimsuit, but it doesn't help much. If anything, it probably gives him more confidence. I should probably have him in swimming lessons. But for now, I stay right by him and watch him like a hawk.

4 comments:

terrah said...

Wow, lots of fun summer activities!

There's also a Love and Logic book specifically for ages 0-6 that's nice too.

Rachel Sorber said...

Sigh. I don't really know what I'm going to do without school this summer. I had a small taste of it yesterday when Lucy was home with a cough, and by the evening mommy was worn out! You'll have to give me pointers in a couple weeks when my girls are home all day...structureless...and very needy. :)

stefanie said...

We miss being close to all the fun stuff. Seriously, it isn't that far into the city, but the traffic is a killer. I especially miss being close to Nauvoo. So fun. I need to get that book for Harmon. He does not listen.
It looks like you guys are having lots of fun. You are a good mom.

Marliese said...

Love and Logic is great. It all makes perfect sense to me...but I'm not as at good putting it into action. That's the hard part. :)