Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Goals and Life

It's been a rather uneventful week. Paul had a business trip for a few days, and we were glad to have him back. Peter is starting to become a daddy's boy, so he was really excited when he came home. I started a family food blog with my siblings where I'll keep adding recipes that we like.
This year we made a goal to cut out all the unnecessary spending we can, and build up enough savings to professionally refinish our basement. Our broader and more unofficial goal is to have our house in sell-able shape in a year. And no, that's not an announcement. We're not planning on moving anywhere, we just want our options open. So no vacations on the horizon (although I'm not going to lie- I still really really really want to go and visit family while Paul is gone on another business trip for THREE weeks!). I also can't describe how badly I want to see an ocean. Any ocean. The last time I saw an ocean, Benjamin looked like this:
But I'm dealing with it. And it does feel good to have a large goal to work towards. We'll probably just plan some smaller road trips here and there so I don't lose my sanity. I really do know in my mind how blessed we are.
So maybe all this has played a part in my lack of excitement over the news that we're having a girl. I'm not disappointed. I guess in my hormonal, pregnant mind, it would have been easier if we could have just pulled out the old baby clothes, didn't have to worry about redecorating the baby bedroom (although any changes I make will likely be minimal), and just keep doing what we've been doing. In a way, I feel like this tiny change is going to disrupt our bigger plans. But I know that's silly. And I'm sure I will eventually get excited about making headbands and bows and girly stuff. It just hasn't happened yet.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Sometimes I think that being and adult just stinks. Stupid responsibility.

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, Sarah, sarah. I think it's the energy involved in change that you're reacting to--being pregnant makes me not excited to do anything energetic. Perhaps that's what you're feeling? Never fear. Girls are SO fun. And they don't have to wear bows. Natalie didn't wear any bows until she could actually choose to wear them--and the only ones I had were given to us. Now I'm buried in pink and girliness. But it's very fun, and I think your boys will adore her. I can't wait to meet the wee lassie! :)

merathon said...

i completely understand. i was kind of hoping for a boy with #3 just cuz i wondered what it would be like to have a boy in the family, but i was actually quite relieved when i finally pushed her out and patrick said, "it's a girl!" because that meant i already had all the clothes and toys and didn't need to dive into the world of dumptrucks, robots, and dinosaurs!

have the basement REfinished? is it already finished, just not well? we're trying to get our house in sellable shape too. . .

Momo Cannon said...

Well, I am pretty excited about getting some girl stuff! It will be great!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Aren't Mom and Dad (and others?) driving out to see you guys pretty soon to help work on your bathroom? That'll be fun. Strapping down to save and plan for a big goal WORKS. I hope you aren't feeling too ocean-less/depressed in the mean time. I miss you!

stefanie said...

I am so glad you are starting a food blog! You are a great cook.
I rarely put hair things in Saida's hair when she was a baby. I wish I would have more. What if she is my only girl?

Rebecca said...

you'll just have to make lots of fun plans with us when paul is gone. what great goals! and i was not excited when i found out jeremiah was a boy and it seemed to irritate me when people would say, "oh, now you have your perfect family" b/c i thought 2 girls would have been perfect. and then he came and i've had great fun in the world of boys.