Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chipping Away

We've finally tackled a few projects this week that really needed to get done. First, this (really nice, but outdated) old fan has needed to be rewired for at least 6 months. We fried it when we attempted to fix the wiring ourselves, so we've been without lighting over our kitchen table for a while. Now that daylight is a scarce commodity, we decided it was time to do something about it. I called an electrician to look at it, but only one vendor even deals with this brand. And it would have cost a lot.
So we decided to replace it, and it's like a whole new room! I love the new fixture, and especially the fact that our house no longer resembles a cave. And project number two: the mysterious giant crack on our front picture window (we have no idea how it got there in the first place). The window has also been in this hazardous state for the last 6 months or so, and has been getting progressively worse as it's been getting colder. We're finally replacing it! I'm SO excited. All the windows in our house are really old...so old that you can't open them, plus they don't even have screens. So this will give us one spot in the house where we can let fresh air in! Woohoo!And can I just say I'm SO excited for Thanksgiving this year? Paul's entire family is coming out here, and we'll be staying in Nauvoo at the farm that once belonged to Paul's and my shared ancestor (I think we decided that we're 5th or 6th cousins once removed...or something like that).
Today I found this festive pair at Hobby Lobby for 80% off. We didn't have any Thanksgiving decorations to speak of, so I think they're happy to be our first.

2 comments:

Calley said...

Love the light! I am a fellow lover of light. Once we get a house (when we're 50 years old) I'm going to try to replicate yous or something, its too cute.

Rachel Sorber said...

Yay! I love that light--it looks a lot like the one over my kitchen table, actually. Nice taste! :) Good call on replacing yours. Lighting can really update a room in a hurry.

And I'm happy for your window being replaced. You'll feel so much happier looking out of a clean, fresh window! :)

I love making my home beautiful. Good work, Sarah--you're doing a great job and it looks lovely.