Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Two-and-a-Half

Benjamin is officially 2 ½ as of yesterday. I’ve been saying the spacing between Benjamin and Peter is great because we’re just lumping together all of the effects of having a new baby and all the joys of Benjamin being 2 ½ and getting it over with, but it really has been challenging. I feel guilty most days because I know how much our relationship has changed since having Peter, and I’m definitely not as patient with him as I used to be.

Benjamin used to be the perfect child who could do no wrong (second children are good for the firstborn as well as the parents, don't you think?). He was adorable, sweet, obedient and good. Now he’s obstinate and extremely independent, unless he decides that either Paul or I need to do something for him. I find myself expecting more from him because he’s “big” now, but I know it’s probably unreasonable for me to do so. I have to keep reminding myself he is only 2 ½. He’s regressed a little with his potty training too. This morning, I asked him probably 10 times to go to the bathroom before he finally wet his second pair of pants of the day, right in front of the potty.

As frustrating as my little Benjamin can be, he forgives and forgets all of my less-than-stellar moments. He’s a sweet boy with a huge heart, and I learn a lot from him. He is smart and so imaginative and fun. I feel so lucky to be the mother of this amazing little boy.

This morning as he was using all of his usual tactics to get us out of bed (i.e. trying to injure Peter), Paul finally said to him, “That makes Mommy and Daddy really sad when you do that. And it makes Jesus sad…And Santa Claus,” to which Benjamin quickly replied, “No, only Santa Claus.” We’re still trying to teach him to understand the real meaning of Christmas. :)

He is obsessed with this book we got at the library about Santa Claus called “The Christmas Bear.” It really does have fantastic illustrations and the story line is pretty cute, but I’ve read it probably at least a dozen times every day since we got it. This afternoon as we were reading it, he got so frustrated because he couldn’t “skidoo” into the page (if you haven’t ever seen “Blue’s Clues,” Steve and Blue “skidoo” into pictures and books on every episode). He was saying “Blue skidoo, you can too!” and jumping and making the right sound effects, but to no avail. So we had to pretend to “skidoo” into the pictures and play with all the cool toys.

Hopefully if he’s really good this year, Santa Claus will bring Benjamin a “fon-un,” or “fire engine,” in case you didn’t catch that. And if I’m good this year, maybe two-and-a-half will fly by!

5 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

It is such an adjustment for everyone when you have a new baby. Somehow it all works out and Benjamin and Peter will be good friends. Really! Looking forward to seeing you! Love, Grandma

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, Benjamin. It's funny how different Natalie and Benjamin are--Natalie's always been obstinate and independent--it just got amplified when she turned 2 1/2. Right now, as I'm writing this, she's making grumpy grunty sounds in the kitchen (a scaled-down fit, since she knows if she throws a real one she'll be in her room in a second) because the bandaid I put on her owie on the back of her hand doesn't wrap around her finger, which is what she wanted. Sigh. I wonder if four will be any better?... At least she's not wetting her pants any more! That's progress, right?

Sarah said...

I've heard that the 1/2 year marks (2 1/2, 3 1/2, etc) are the worst and that the year marks...2, 3, 4...are easier. They're just trying to figure life out. Emma is starting to do a lot of the same things as Benjamin. Hopefully the phase doesn't last too long.

That is cute how he wanted to skidoo into the book. Too funny.

Rebecca said...

I'm still laughing about the "no, only Santa Claus" conversation. That is too cute.

Haily Brian said...

I loved this post about Benjamin. I can totally relate to all that you said. I have those same feelings about Kennedy. I have been with you and your boys and I can honestly say you are an amazing mother and your boys are very blessed to have you as their mother.