Sunday, August 24, 2014

Back to School

The kids started school a few weeks ago- on August 12. Before that, we had gone to take a tour with the principal, met with the counselor on a different day, had "popsicles with the principal" on the playground, had Peter's kindergarten teacher over to our house, and had cookies with kindergarteners on the playground, attended another kindergarten orientation (about bus safety), and went to "meet the teacher." A LOT of Back to School stuff- and much more than I would typically do, but we needed it this year. This summer got to be pretty lonely when things settled here with no friends around to play with. 
Benjamin is in third grade this year! He had no fears about starting as the new kid, and just charged onto that bus with the same enthusiasm as he always has. His teacher is Mrs. Huffer, and she seems nice so far. After all that back to school stuff, it's amazing I only met her once, and only very briefly. As far as I can tell, he fits right in. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that. I think boys are less cliquish in general. Big sigh of relief here!
 Peter was so ready to start. He left his backpack at the school the previous day while at "meet the teacher," but he wasn't even rattled a bit by having to use a silly little drawstring bag on his first day. The night before, he had carefully laid out his chosen outfit across his rug so he could be all ready. Then he just marched on the bus, not even looking back, and came home happy. He's been like that every day since too! His teacher is Mrs. Jacobs, and she is just as sweet and caring as they come. I feel like I should be mourning for the baby who is gone, and my big boy who has taken his place and is leaving me every day, but he's been ready for a while. And I think I've had enough time to adjust to that.
 Our bus stop is just on the corner next to our house, and there are four other kids there! We had a family move in right next door to us with two little girls Benjamin and Peter's ages, and they've become best buds. Every day after school, they're just itching to get back out and play with their friends. I've really enjoyed getting to know the other moms at the bus stop too- both of them stay-at-home-moms. We never had that in our old neighborhood, so this feels like a luxury to me!
 So now it's just us ladies at home every day. Nora is ready to start Joy School this week. She is having fun with Lydia, but I can tell she needs a little more interaction with friends her own age. She really misses Peter.
I've had a few people follow up with me after my tirade about schooling vs. homeschooling. Honestly, I didn't really consider doing it this school year, although I haven't ruled it out as a possibility in the future (middle school, perhaps?). I'm glad I took the time to study up on alternatives to my children's education, and I'm especially glad to be associated with so many amazing, successful (and real) moms who do homeschool their kids. It's been an eye-opening journey for me, and it was good for me to let go of some of my own prejudices. At least for now, I feel like our kids can do a lot of good being in public school, and learning doesn't have to stop when they come home. And so far, I have only had good feelings about the new school they're at. Hooray for a new school year!

4 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

I love first day pictures! Everyone seems so eager and first day outfits so new and fresh! Glad it's going well!

Rachel Sorber said...

Looks great, Sarah! Glad the kids are having such a great experience at school- that makes such a difference to the whole family! And hooray for you that you've got a wee break from all four every day! :) I'm looking forward to that starting next week myself...

Liz said...

I love that last picture of the girls! What a great shot!

It's so important to have a school you're comfortable with. Glad you've found one!

Jeannine said...

Loved it all! I love that Peter was so excited, that your house looks so incredible in the background of these pictures, how mature and BIG Benjamin looks, and how adorable your girls are together. I hope Nora loves Joy School! I'm sure she will!